Instead of diminishing the value of agents and brokers and destroying client relationships the new Heath Care Federally-Facilitated Marketplaces (FFM) are allowing trained agent/brokers to demonstrate expertise and help clients with a difficult process. Here are steps to register, build prestige and provide value to clients. As regulations frequently change it is the duty of the agent/broker to check for current rules. A link to the Sept. 19, 2013 Advisory for use of the FFM is at end of article. Let’s make it simple. After the agent wades through an 8 page Advisory you find there are really 2 steps for agents to register. Here are the steps, links and a short description of what is to be accomplished in each step. We hope you find this information of some help. Step 1. Register on the Medicare Learning Network (MLN), complete assigned training and exams and execute the FFM Agreements. https://Marketplace.MedicareLearningNetworkLMS.com
- Enter National Producer Number (NPN) and remember your Medicare Learning Network User Id from when you signed up (see above). Information on the important National Producer Number is below.
- Keep training curriculum certificates earned (see above) and furnish to the web-brokers with which you are affiliated or plan to be affiliated.
- Allow 48 hours for all records to be transmitted to the CMS Enterprise Portal.
Step 2. Create a FFM User ID and complete identity proofing through the CMS Enterprise Portal: : https://portal.cms.gov/ Remember this ID as it will be used often!
- You will be prompted to enter your NPN and MLM User Id. When entering NPN use only numeric digits and is 10 digits or less.
- Previous CMS webinars may be very helpful along with specific instructions for using the FFM.
- The Marketplace specific requirements must be met before assisting qualified individuals and all mandated training must be finished.
- National Producer Numbers (NPN) are managed and controlled by the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR). Your NPN is an up to 10-digit number, without leading zeros. An NPN is a unique sequential number used to identify individual producers. If you are unable to recall your NPN, you may obtain it by visiting: https://pdb.nipr.com/html/PacNpnSearch.html
- The complete advisory may be viewed at: http://onlinenavigator.org/applications/AB_Operational_QA_9_19_2013.pdf
- The FFM does not pay commissions directly to the agent/broker. Selecting a web-broker is beyond the scope of this article but the agent can search on Web-Broker for FFM as a starting point.